Carbon Fiber Extreme

F1 champ

Current 2020 Corvette Orders Undergoing Updates to TPWs

Production of the new mid-engine 2020 Corvette Stingray was expected to start the week of December 2nd. But then the UAW strike happened, which pushed the earliest TPWs (Target Production Weeks) for those buyers with accepted orders back to January 20th at the earliest. Others have reported that updates to their TPWs pushed the start of their cars into February.

But now that the strike is over and the Corvette Assembly Plant has reopened, things are starting to get back to normal. After several days to assess their current situation, the Corvette team may be getting ready to make new adjustments to the current Corvette orders.

Over the last two days, we’ve heard from customers and dealers alike who have reported that current orders no longer have any Target Production Weeks attached them. Dealers are saying there are no TPWs in the order system.

This sounds like good news to us.

The Corvette Assembly Plant still has to knock out the remaining C7 orders, and plant spokesperson Rackel Bagshaw confirmed earlier this week that the plant will be down from November 18th – December 6th for C8 retooling.

If that’s the case, then perhaps we’ll see the first TPWs shifted back to December 2019. That would be fantastic news as then the strike would have only delayed the start of C8 production by just a week. Of course, the flip side is that TPWs could be moved even further into 2020 which is a very real possibility as well. Stay tuned on this and for those of you with orders, be patient!

Keith Cornett; CorvetteBlogger


This Is What Formula 1 Will Look Like in 2021

Formula 1 is going to see a bunch of changes in 2021. The series is implementing some major shifts to the rules, with new car designs and a budget cap for teams, all with the goal of increasing competition and making races more exciting. For the first time, we’re able to see what the 2021 F1 cars will look like.

Formula 1 revealed the finalized car design at a press conference today, outlining all the new rules and regulations that will go into effect come 2021. The cars will be slightly heavier, and wear 18-inch wheels, which should allow for bigger brakes.

The aerodynamic package is what’s most important, however, because it’ll reduce disruption through the air, allowing for closer battles and more passing opportunities, which should mean more exciting racing. There are major changes to the front and rear wings, as well as the floor of the car. The suspension has been simplified, and wheel-wake control devices have been added to smooth out flow. In August, Formula 1 said this new design will have a 45-percent decrease in airflow disruption.

One thing that isn’t getting a significant update is the powertrain layout—2021 cars will still be using a 1.6-liter hybrid-assisted turbo V-6.

Of course, the car isn’t the only thing that’s been overhauled. The series is standardizing more parts, while restricting how many times certain components can be replaced or upgraded during a race weekend. There’s also a budget cap for every team for how much can spend on performance development, set at $175 million per season. The series says it’s contracted an independent regulator to make sure the spending limit is enforced.

That’s not all. There are changes being made to the race weekend schedule as well, with the pre-race press conference now happening on Friday, right before the first practice session. Furthermore, all teams must run at least two practice sessions per year with drivers who have completed two Grands Prix or fewer. This is done to give new drivers a change to show their worth.

Formula 1 has uploaded a video summarized all of the changes in a video below.

Source: Brian Silvestro, Road&Track


Fernando Alonso Will Race in Dakar 2020

Fernando Alonso confirmed today at a Toyota Gazoo Racing press conference he will be competing in the 2020 Dakar rally, according to Autosport. The Spanish Formula 1 champion will drive a V-8-powered Toyota Hilux throughout the 12-day event, taking place in January.

Alonso has been testing with Toyota since March 2019, before entering his first event in August to get accustomed to the rigors of longer off-road competition. Hopes for a top-10 finish in Morocco were dashed after a crash on stage three forced him and co-driver Marc Coma to retire thanks to front suspension damage, according to Motorsport.com.

Autosport reports the 38-year old Spaniard will race in a regional rally in Saudi Arabia in preparation for Dakar this December. The decision to compete came after Dakar organizers banned testing in the country leading up to the start of the event.

Source: Brian Silvestro, Road&Track